The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka


 metamorphosis gregor samsa


The Metamorphosis  by Franz Kafka

Recently I reread the novella Metamorphosis. I cannot help but identify with Gregor Samsa. Not in body, but in spirit. He used to be so self sufficient and then he woke up one morning in the form of a hideous vermin. The first time I read it, I could half understand it. You need a certain degree of knowledge of the English language in order to understand it. In my opinion, it is better to read it in English than in Spanish. English is closer to the original German language.Thus, it makes for a better translation. When I first read it in Spanish, the narrator gave me the impression that Gregor was a tiny roach. Near the end, I came to realize that he was a giant hideous vermin. As I read the Spanish version, I kept asking to myself " why do they have to move the furniture for one tiny bug?". But alas, Gregor is one huge bug.





gregor,samsa,photo


The Metamorphosis also affected Gregor's family (though their change was only gradual). The sister used to be weak and useless, but she became independent and hard working after Gregor's "accident". I felt really bad by the meek fashion that Gregor spoke to Mr Manager. I bet a lot of folks can identify with his situation. Most workers fear being fired after taking a leave of absence. Heck, Gregor despite his hideous form was only concerned about the fact that he had missed the first bus.

I truly do wonder what sort of "premonition" Gregor had about his transformation. Its funny how he told Mr. Manager that he sorta felt he was gonna become a roach. That must have been one hell of a premonition. Kafka certainly took medias rex to a whole new level. I guess in the end it does not matter (storyline wise) why or how he became a roach. Still it is a pretty interesting concept.

 metamorphosis Franz Kafka


Many of you might wonder why a roach? Allow me to tell you. Roaches are the most repulsive animal in existence. This bug is unworthy of being pitied. When one sees a roach one would never think twice about squashing it. Poor Gregor...it is the memory of whom he was that kept his family at bay.If you ask me his family had grown too dependent of his input. He was responsible for his old man, his asthmatic mother and the school expenses of his younger sister. Truly, the life of a traveling salesman is not easy.

 metamorphosis the kafka


The I hated the last 1/3 of the story. Frankly, the beginning was far more interesting. This book is truly quite the lovely quick read. Perfect gift for someone who was struck by lightning. Anyhow... The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka deserves 5 star rating.

Related

tears 4697782609839621565

Post a Comment

Be sure to join Animekida.com k.

emo-but-icon

HOT

Archive

item