Everyone Has a story to tell.... Or so they say.

Last class I attended a very peculiar lecture where parents and students participated and shared experiences alike. My professor once ...




Last class I attended a very peculiar lecture where parents and students participated and shared experiences alike. My professor once said,” Everyone has a story to tell.” In this parent, teacher lecture I gained a deeper appreciation for what it means to be free. When I arrived to the United States, I believed my journey was over. I believed I was moving to a wonderful house in a technological wonderland full of giant robots, flying cars and 3D videos. Little did I know that my journey through America was just beginning. While in class, I listened to the parent of one of my fellow students. This man spoke of the dangers of taking freedom for granted. He had too much freedom and believed he could get away with anything. One day that freedom was taken away from him. I felt identified with this man who, like me, traveled to the US thinking everything was going be handed on a plate. Little did I know how hard I would have to fight for that plate. This man made many mistakes in his early life, mistakes I hope to avoid. His lecture taught me the true meaning of freedom and the implications behind that freedom.




During that lecture I gained a deeper appreciation for citizen journalist. Until now, I saw city journalist as nothing more than yellow gossiping, attention starved buffoons. Now, one class away from finishing this crash course in introductory journalism, I’ve learned citizen journalists are often the watchmen of our community. They take pride in their community and care for the events that occur at a local level. They protect citizens like you and me from oppressors. They expose social problems and more importantly, they help shape the way we perceive the world around us. Little did I know I would soon become a citizen journalist and begin writing little blogs and columns online reporting stories of my own interest.

Last lecture allowed me to gain a deeper appreciation of journalism in a historic context. Before I used to believe journalist where suppose to be “fair and balance.” I thought true reporters kept their own opinions away from the news. Yet, twelve chapters of American journalism later, I’ve seen journalist taking sides, supporting presidents and fighting oppression. I have also gained a greater appreciation for the journalist’s Bill of Rights. While I lived in Cuba, I once got in trouble for mentioning my American family in a public tribune. My family was threatened and we were forced to flee the country. I was 10 years at the time. Here I have the freedom to pick a side, make an opinion and most importantly, protection from those who disagree with me.

Related

news 2747420732069067467

Post a Comment

Be sure to join Animekida.com k.

emo-but-icon

HOT

Archive

item